Sunday, October 5, 2008

Recent Blooms

I know the pictures are bad. The batteries are dead in my nice camera, and I keep forgetting to replace them. I was so excited to have a bloom on my Ginger (Hedychium coronarium "White Butterfly"), that I had to get a photo, however crappy. Unfortunately, I didn't get as close as I should have, so I missed out on the scent. Wah!


Ginger "White Butterfly"

The Pineapple Sage is getting started, too. I've heard that this is a perennial for some folks in my zone. We'll see!


Pineapple Sage

And the Solidago is starting to wind down.


Solidago "Fireworks"

I attended a plant swap this weekend. It was a very small turnout this time. It was still fun to talk to other gardeners and get some new stuff. One thing that was a disappointment to me was that I was the only person to pot things up in advance. I dug up everything 1-2 weeks ago and potted them in compost (I didn't have any potting soil), so everything was looking pretty good. Some folks dug stuff up that morning, and put it in trash bags. That works if you're going to plant right away, but not everybody can. I did get a few things in the ground today, and hope to get everything else in before it dies.

I've also been taking more plants out of Evan's Garden. I removed two of the Annabelle Hydrangeas a couple of weeks ago. After watering regularly, they look very happy in their new home. I will either move or give away the last Annabelle. I've left the dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangeas. I dug up the hostas and astilbes. I have to decide what will stay, and if it will stay put or move. I'll also have to decide whether I want to remove anything else. I sat down tonight to do a new plan. And pretty much just got frustrated. I don't know what I want to do. Something cool that Evan would have liked. Something with fun flowers or cool names. Nontoxic and child friendly would be nice, too. I want it to look nice, too. So many things to consider. And the fact that Mother Nature is not cooperating and giving us rain isn't making planting/transplanting/etc. decisions any easier. hopefully I will get some ideas soon!

2 comments:

sherrie said...

It's pretty shady, right? I'll be thinking, too. There's always various berries, or nuts, things that would bring birds and squirrels if you don't eat them yourselves...

sherrie said...

I didn't mean you'd eat the birds or squirrels, in case you were worried ;-)