Saturday, October 11, 2008

Evan's Garden

Evan's garden is in limbo. The annabelle hydrangeas and snowflake viburnum are moved, the hostas and astilbes are gone, the fairy wands, forget me nots, and others disappeared (I think it was just too dry.) I have moved some "anchor" sort of shrubs over to join the dwarf oakleaf hydrangeas. I transplanted two gardenias and a non-native (I think) Beautyberry. There's probably space for a couple of shrubs on either side of the Beautyberry. I'll have to think about what I'd like to do. I plan on moving the Evan Saul Coneflower and Evan Matthew Dahlia over there, too. After checking out some gardening books from the library, I've decided that Evan's garden is going to be Evan's Zoo Garden. So, I'm going to incorporate plants with animal names. What I'm considering so far: fritillaria meleagris (snake head fritillary), Lagurus ovatus (Bunny or Hare's Tail Grass), Mimulus (monkey flower), either Tiger Lilies or something a book calls Leopard Flower (also called blackberry lily; Belamcanda chinensis.) I still plan to have some dwarf sunflowers. There will be lots of yellow, purple/blue, orange, and red. I am really excited that I finally have some ideas. I can't wait to get started!

No comments: