Monday, September 15, 2008

Bloom Day


Solidago "Fireworks"

I went out this evening to take a few pictures of what's in bloom, and immediately wished I had gone out sooner. It was a cool, beautiful evening. Earlier in the day I saw a hummingbird on my Solidago. My mother in law is the only person I know who doesn't like hummers. She thinks they look like great big bugs. Weirdo.


Cutleaf Coneflower Rudbeckia laciniata

The Goldfinches love Cutleaf Coneflower. They are attractive plants, with nice dark green foliage, and bright late summer yellow blooms. They do get a bit droopy in dry weather and heat. And mine spread by root and I think by seed. So, I always have some to share. They don't seem to take over.


Spiderlily Lycoris radiata

I can see these Spiderlily blooms from the house (they're located at the back Woodland Garden.) Such unusual flowers. The color really stands out so well against all the green. I think I need more red. I've been considering getting some Oxblood lilies from The Southern Bulb Company for fall red. And maybe some Texas tulips from there for spring red. My son, Evan, loved red, so both would be a good addition to his memorial garden.


Toad Lily Tricyrtis hirta

I didn't manage to get a good picture of this Toad Lily. The flowers remind me of orchids. I need to find a place in the yard where it will be happier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen spider lillies in forever. My mother had some in our backyard in Bainbridge! They are pretty weird. Lala

Pam said...

I like them. I think they're neat. It was nice to have something blooming. Everything else was green (or brown, 'cause it got fried from the weather!)