Monday, August 25, 2008

Woohoo Rain!

According to our rain gauge we got 1.3 inches of rain last night! Woohoo! Now we just need to get around 2.5 more inches, and we'll be all nice and caught up for August. Of course, we're still behind for the year. I haven't been out to take any pictures because of the rain. And even though it hasn't been that hot, it has been sticky. The kind of weather when you stand for a couple of minutes, not exerting yourself or anything, and still start to sweat. Nice, huh? It's just me and the kids for a few days, so I don't have a lot of time when I could sneak out to take pix anyhow. The most exciting thing about to get going is my Solidago "Fireworks." One of my faves. Can't wait to see it with my Black and Blue Salvia. I'm thinking I may divide the Salvia, and spread the joy to other parts of the butterfly garden. Mom picks on me for digging stuff up, and dividing it, but it's a great way to keep a plant's size in check, put more color around the garden, and more often than not...share!

4 comments:

sherrie said...

I've started getting ground cherries, and the sunflowers have buds-they are SOOOO tall and they're across from the also tall Jerusalem artichokes, so it's like a tunnel over there! I've started moving lingon berries, but they're ripening up so I can't move all of them yet. The popcorn all has ears, I apparently have to let it dry on the stalk like the beans are doing, and the beans are almost all dry. My cantaloupe got eaten by a critter who left a pile of seeds as if to say "yummy, plant MORE next year!" Little jerk!

Pam said...

are ground cherries like tree cherries? I hope to do some edibles next year.

sherrie said...

Not really; they are annuals and related to tomatilloes, with a papery husk like that, but sweet. I'm growing two varieties, one of which is supposed to taste like pineapple, but they're all mixed together in the bed so no telling which is which.

M T said...

salvia now announced for an excellent contest click on to http://www.freshsalvia.com/blog/?cat=3
Don't miss this excellent opportunity.Enjoy salvia with peaceful dreams