Sunday, August 24, 2008

"We Gotta Job To Do!"




One of Evan's favorite shows was Handy Manny. Manny is the Handy Man in the town of Sheetrock Hills. He has talking tools that assist him on each project. Evan loved everything about tools. He had a Little Tykes toolbench that Santa brought him for Christmas. It had a hammer, a screwdriver, and a wrench for him to play Tool Guy with.



When he didn't have pretend tools, real ones would do! Evan was always happy to help out on any project going on around the house. He would tuck a pencil behind his ear (just like Handy Manny), and say, "We gotta job to do!" When the project was done, he would say, "We did a good job." Then, he nodded his head appreciatively.



The weekend before Evan went to the hospital, I got him his very own toolbox. We thought he had a bad cold, and I thought a little pre-Christmas gift would cheer him up. I was only going to give him the little drill, and save the rest of the toolbox for Christmas. He had been playing with his Daddy's drill a lot that day, helping on another project. He found the drill, and immediately starting to pretend to work on a project. "Do you wanna work on a project, Mommy?" he asked. Evan also found the toolbox. He pulled each tool out, and named them. All the same names as the tools in Handy Manny's toolbox. "Here's Turner and Squeeze and Pat...."



Evan had so much fun playing, he wanted to take his drill to bed with him. Night night, little Tool Guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are remembering Evan so beautifully. I think you are very brave for sharing the joys and pains so openly. Thanks.
Kristin

PS I have added to the "Pam's pile of chocolate lemony goodness" and have no more guests for awhile. I should actually mail it this time!!

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful memories. Thanks,he was such a joy. Grandma

Amy said...

Aren't you glad you gave it to him early. Sigh.

Betharoopie said...

Oh, sweetie...many hugs and much love...

Pam said...

I am glad I gave him the drill early. I'm glad he had something he really liked before he went to the hospital. I keep thinking I wish I had gotten out his Thomas things I had purchased the previous month, but of course, I didn't know he wasn't coming home. Duncan has since found the tools and broken some of them. He hasn't found the drill, yet. I always thought Duncan would play with Evan's old toys, but it's still hard to see them break.

Kristin...looking forward to the chocolate! Thanks for thinking of me.

sherrie said...

Aw, sorry Duncan's breaking stuff, but I guess it's all those snips, snails, and puppy dog tails that do it. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.