Sunday, August 10, 2008

Catching Up

I haven't had much to write, because I've kind of holed myself up inside the house. It's been hot and dry. Lots of drooping due to low humidity. Me included!


My First Tomato!

There are some plants that seem to handle the heat and humidity better than others. These are the ones I need to write down on a list to remember for next year!


The Blooms are coming in on the Garlic Chives

I have a "formal" herb garden that I had planned on keeping neat and pruned. I should have known better! It's grown wild and woolly. It's hard to get motivated to do constant pruning in the summer heat. Add two kids under the age of three, and forget about it!


Butterfly Garden

I've had lots of lovely blooms in the Butterfly Garden this summer. Bees aplenty. I've seen fewer butterflies this year. I wonder if the drought has taken its toll on the prettiest insect.


Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle"

These Hydrangeas do not like the heat and humidity! They look like they're on the verge of collapse by midday.


Rudbeckia "Black Eyed Susan" and Dahlia "Alpen Diamond"

I've been pleased with the blooms on my Alpen Diamond Dahlia. My "Evan Matthew" is still pretty small with no blooms. Sigh. I hope I don't lose it again over the winter months.

3 comments:

sherrie said...

I haven't gotten any ripe tomatoes yet, but I did make fried green tomatoes last week. Lots of lettuce and cukes(5 qts of pickles so far!), one eggplant, one pumpkin, several servings of kale and chard so far, and about 1/2 cup of black beans so far(drying them, and only the 4 least healthy plants have been harvested) and it looks like lots of things are starting to get ready! I have beets and turnips that I can hardly wait to pick, they look so perfect!

sherrie said...

I said "so far" an awful lot, didn't I?!!

Pam said...

Hee hee! That's ok. Clearly, you expect more. I'm interested to know how well the black beans do. That's something I would like to add, because we'll actually eat them. Unlike, I don't know, umm squash?