Friday, July 11, 2008

Toughies


Purple Coneflower

I love the plants that thumb their proverbial noses at the heat and humidity that is summer in the South. Coneflowers do start to look a little peaky in the heat, but they perk back up in no time. And the flowers are magnificent.


Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue"

Salvia blooms off and on throughout the summer. "Black and Blue" has the much sought after true blue flower. It is a real standout, especially with my new yellow salvias. I have it wedged in between orange Crocosmia and Solidago "Fireworks." If I luck out and they all bloom together, it really will look like fireworks!


Crocosmia

These orange blooms of Crocosmia (they also come in yellow and red) really brighten up my butterfly garden. It is a bit thuggish. I'll need to thin them out this year. Unless I want a Crocosmia only butterfly garden. Very exclusive.


Calla Lily

Calla lilies are so elegant. They also look kind of tropical. (Or maybe they are tropical.) They are just beautiful.

No comments: