Monday, June 9, 2008

What's Beating the Heat...And What's Not


Apothecary Rose (I think) Hiding Behind some Crocosmia Leaves

I looked at weather.com yesterday to get an idea of our temperature, without having to go outside. It said 97 degrees. And the heat index? Just 98. Ho Hum. I know if I were outside, I would be wilting. So, it's no surprise that some of my planties can't take the heat.


Dahlia "Alpen Diamond"

The one rose in my yard, the Dahlias, Zinnias, Gauras, Loropetalum, Crocosmia are all doing well. They don't seem to flinch.


Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue"


I was surprised by my droopy Echinaceas and Salvia. They are both "drought tolerant" plants. Although, they do typically rebound once out of direct sunlight.



A Place to Sit and Enjoy Evan's Garden


But my poor Bank of Hydrangeas! I looked out of the window on Saturday and saw major wilting, and nearly cried. I did yell. I quickly went to the rainbarrel to drain some water for my thirsty Annabelles. They recovered once out of direct sunlight. But I'm starting to think that the Bank of Hydrangeas may have to be moved to a shadier spot. I just happen to have an available area--the Shrub Island that I will be installing when it cools off (um, maybe October!) So, I suppose I'll baby the Annabelles until then, and move them over. I think I may leave the Oakleaf because they're tougher. There are already shrubs behind the current Bank of Hydrangeas, which include Itea "Saturnalia, Viburnam "Snowflake," and Clethra alnifolia "Ruby Spice." Oh yeah and Duncan's tree Magnolia "Royal Star." I had thought about moving a few of these over to the Shrub Island and keep the Hydrangeas put. But the Itea, Viburnum and Clethra are doing so much better in the spot, that I think they'll stay. I'll have a little space to place new stuff where the Hydrangeas will be removed. This is in Evan's garden, so I'll have to find something fun. I thought about some more Evan Saul Echinaceas. Hmmm...


Our Rainbarrel!


Our Rainbarrel. I'm loving it. Except for the whole we haven't had any rain in 3 or 4 weeks part. It is storing our air conditioning condensation nicely, though. There's a good chance of rain tomorrow, and cooler temperatures. So, hopefully after today, we'll have normal weather for awhile. And more rain!

4 comments:

sherrie said...

OUCH! Everything still looks very nice, though, so they must mind the heat less than we do. It's been 90's up here, too, but hopefully cool weather returns Wednesday or so. Here's hoping you get a ton of rain!

Pam said...

Well, when the hydrangeas are in direct sunlight, they look really bad. I haven't been out to take a picture at that time of day. At least they do seem to recover once in shade. It's supposed to be cooler the rest of the week here, so hopefully we won't be back in the 90's until July. Or better yet, August! Fat chance.

sherrie said...

Is it supposed to be cooler there today? Cuz we're supposed to hit mid-90s again, but down to mid-80s tomorrow(70s next week!). But yeah, August sounds about right...

Pam said...

The blasted weather channel keeps tempting us with rain and cooler temps, but then the chances for rain start to decrease with each hour that passes. And the temps seem to be holding steading, if just a teeny bit cooler. Wah!