Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June Lovelies


Gaillardia aristata "Burgundy" (I think) peeking through the leaves of a Ginger

I'm going out of town with the kids to see Grandma and Grandpa today, so I wanted to get a few shots of all the lovelies in the garden this morning. The Gaillardia blooms are so gorgeous. It's a pity that where I have the plant, it gets lost among other taller things. I need to place it more strategically to show it off better.


Agastache "Blue Fortune" just starting to flower

I've had this Agastache for years. I love its licorice scent. The bees love it, too!


Oakleaf Hydrangea "Sikes Dwarf" Hydrangea quercifolia

The Bank of Hydrangeas in Evan's Garden are really starting to look beautiful. It was too sunny to get a picture of all of them this morning. Maybe in a couple of days I'll try again in the evening.


Spigelia marilandica

The Spigelia is almost done with its show.


Daylily "Wineberry Candy" Hemerocallis

The Daylillies have just begun! I purchased these Wineberry Candies last fall. We had a strip of weeds, grass, and dirt by the edge of the road that wouldn't grow grass. I decided to dig it up, ammend it, and try something tougher and more drought tolerant. I also planted some Daffodils in the strip for spring color.


Closeup of Wineberry Candy

So far, I'm very pleased with my choice!


Bee Balm Monarda

I planted Bee Balm the year I first started my Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden. I planted several, and they took over. I had such a battle to keep them under control that I ended up digging them all up, giving most of them away, and keeping a bit in a pot that's way too small. One of these days I'll upgrade to a bigger pot, and take better care of it. The flower is too gorgeous not to keep!

No comments: