Thursday, June 5, 2008

Is it Summer Already?


View of the Backyard from My House

Today the best view of the garden was from the house. Not because I have sparkling clean windows, but because it was a scorcher outside. It felt more like August instead of early June. And no rain. It's probably a good thing I still have my rain barrel hooked up to the AC!



Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle"

The Annabelle Hydrangeas, and Oakleaf Hydrangeas are blooming together now in the "Bank of Hydrangeas" in Evan's Garden. And it is as beautiful and impressive as I had imagined! Now if I could get the rest of my gardening design to look as splendid. And if I could actually get a good picture of the whole thing. I think I need a tripod to stop the attack of the shaky hand.


Hydrangea quercifolia "Sikes Dwarf"

Like the "Wineberry Candy" Daylily in the previous post, I purchased "Paper Butterfly" last fall. It's purely coincidence that their colors are complementary.



Hemerocallis "Paper Butterfly"

I picked up this Gardenia at a Garden Web plant trade. It was marked Gardenia radicans, but it doesn't have the low, spreading growth. I was disappointed at first, but this one has outperformed all of the Gardenia radicans in the garden. I had considered moving it, because it somewhat obscures Hirohito, our Japanese maple. It's just so happy and beautiful, I just couldn't bring myself to move it. Maybe Hiro will get bigger!


Gardenia Trade Plant

Echinacea (Coneflower) "Evan Saul" is one of the newer Coneflower introductions from ItSaul Nursery. They have introduced dozens of Coneflowers in the last few years. In addition to the dark orange blooms, Evan Saul has a subtle, sweet fragrance.


Echinacea "Evan Saul"

You see these Daylilies in ditches and on the sides of the road, and they are referred to as "Common Daylilies." I think that's an unfair name. They really brighten up our creekside. The foliage is nice and green all summer, and crowds out weeds pretty effectively.


Common Daylilies

1 comment:

sherrie said...

Ooh, the bank of daylilies by the creek is very nice! Cold rain here 3 days straight. My hellebores and irises are still going, I have TWO jacks-in-the-pulpit, one poppy has popped, and I got 4 of the little wild strawberries. Not much else!