Thursday, May 22, 2008

May Flowers and Foliage


Astilbe looking lovely in bloom in Evan's Garden!

The Astilbes have looked fabulous for a week or so. I've always heard they don't do well here in the Southeast, but I've had pretty good luck. Just behind the astilbes you can see that my dwarf oakleaf Hydrangeas are starting to bloom. When I planned Evan's garden, I wanted what I called "a bank of hydrangeas." I opted for two oakleafs on the ends, and three Annabelles in the middle. The Annabelles look so droopy in the midday sun, that I kinda wish I had put in all oakleafs. They, on the other hand, are looking splendid in defiance of drought and heat.


Blurry Spigelia

My Spigelias have come back, and one of them is covered in these spectacular red blooms. The other was munched on by deer, then I accidentally broke it, and then Duncan broke it again. Poor little plant. Maybe next year.


Gerbera Daisies

I always choose colorful annuals for the front "more formal" beds. This year I planted Zinnias and Gerber daisies. Actually, Gerbers tend to come back here. So, hopefully I'll be enjoying these for years to come. (Unless I decide I can't stand them, and dig them up. I do that sometimes.)


I thought this was native Geranium, but now I'm not sure

I have these all over the place, and they have never bloomed...until now. Maybe I'll stop digging them up and calling them weeds.


Purple Shamrock and Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle"

Justin gave me this Purple Shamrock for our first Valentine's as a married couple. It was in a cool blue pot for a long time. When we moved into our house, I noticed a neighbor had one planted in his yard. I thought it looked so good, I wanted to give it a try. I think it's done very well. I planted the Annabelle next to it last year.


Stokesia laevis

Another shaky hand photo of a trade plant. Great native perennial, Stokesia.


New stakes for my new Dahlias

I just re-installed Evan Matthew dahlia (with some sand this time!) and two Pam Howdens. I can't wait to see them in bloom. Hopefully, the stakes will keep their beautiful flowers off the ground.

No comments: