Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Deer Bites and Leaf Blotch and Mildew, Oh My!

We have a nicely wooded lot on a creek that's home to all sorts of wildlife. We have a couple of hawks in the neighborhood, tons of smaller birds, chipmunks, squirrels, snakes, big fat cats, you name it. And even though I think deer are beautiful, and I typically ooh and ahh when I see them leaping through my back yard, I cringe when I see them munching on my garden. I'm especially disappointed that they munch on plants in Evan's Garden. Usually it's the Hostas, but recently I've lost some foliage and part of a flower off my dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangea. At least it was just a nibble! I've considered placing more "deer resistant" plants in the yard, particularly in Evan's Garden.

Last year I purchased two Karl Rosenfeld Peonies for my front "symmetrical" beds. I bought two more recently. I didn't realize until I got them home that one had leaf blotch. I also noticed one of the ones in the ground had it, too. I was afraid I would have to replace both plants. After doing a little pruning today, I was able to keep the established plant. I think the one recently purchased looks too bad to keep. Oh darn, I'll have to go back to the nursery!

My Lonicera "Goldflame" has been looking a little peeky with the hot, dry weather. I took a closer look today, and discovered powdery mildew. It is prone to powdery mildew, so I'm not surprised. I treated it last year with the ole milk and water combination. Worked great. So, I'll be doing that again this year.

Once I have all these problems taken care of, hopefully I'll get a break before something else attacks!

No comments: