Friday, May 2, 2008

"It's A Plant, Not A Sofa"

I come from the "if you don't like where it is, move it" school. My mom pokes fun at me for moving stuff around so much. I guess this is part of my lack of design knowledge. I get stuff because I like the shape, the flower, whatever. I plant it, and then see that no, it does NOT look good there. Instead of moping around about how much I hate it, I move it. Hopefully, its new home will be more satisfactory. Of course, it would be easier if I knew where I liked stuff from the start, but it's kind of a trial and error process for me. In fact, the beds in front of the house have been a trial since we moved here 7 years ago. I lived with what the previous owner had for a year or so, then started digging. I replaced the foundation shrubs a few times, and I change out the perennials almost annually. Part of the trouble is that the dwarf Yaupon Hollies I bought are still small, so many perennials are bigger, and it just looks funny. Another issue is the Tradescantia (Spiderwort) that my mom gave me. Sure, it's a native and has nice flowers and spiky leaves. But I swear this stuff is going to be around with the roaches at the end of time. I dig up the ever increasing number of clumps every year, only to have them back next year, if not by the end of the summer. Then there are those things I liked for awhile, and now I don't anymore. Or at least, not there. I was looking at "Hirohito," our Japanese maple last night. He's a lovely specimen. I thought out loud, "Hiro would look amazing just a few feet over, where his limbs would hang over the retaining wall." My husband vetoes the idea. He tells me to leave Hiro alone, he's fine where he is. I ask him why he's so offended by the idea of moving something, and he tells me, "It's a plant, not a sofa." We finally got to the real reason, which is he doesn't want Hiro to die. Well, neither do I. I don't think he will. We just have to take good care of him. So, I'm trying to decide if I should sneakily move Hiro while my hubby's not home or just let 'im be. Hmmm...

3 comments:

sherrie said...

How did you and I both turn out that way when Mom is not at all like that? I moved 4 biggish fruit bushes in preparation for the ones I ordered, and on Thursday I even moved the end of the little gravel path over about 6 feet. And it's NOT lack of design sense, it's called fine tuning... ;-)

Pam said...

Ha! I love it. Maybe you can help me fine tune when you come to visit!

sherrie said...

Well, my back is feeling better!