Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spring Has Sprung!


Azaleas

The Azaleas sure have put on a show this year. Everything looks surprisingly good considering the severity of the drought last year. We've done pretty well on rain this year, so far, but we're still below for the year. And, of course, we haven't made up for last year.


Tryin' to Get an Artsy Azalea Photo

These bushes are at the bottom of our driveway. I cut them back every other year or so by about 6-12". I did this last year, and they came back to even taller than before. So, I'm thinking a little more aggressive pruning this year. Of course, the blooms are really spectacular this year, so maybe less aggressive is the way to go. I guess I'll see how it goes this time.


Lonicera heckrottii "Goldflame"

I purchased this Goldflame honeysuckle last year for my mailbox, before Pikes went bellyup. I kept walking past it in the store, and hoping no one else would buy it. I finally went over and put it in my cart. Totally an impulse buy. I had previously dug up my Confederate jessamine from the mailbox trellis, because it's poisonous. I went on a kick last year, where I dug up most of my poisonous plants, because my son kept taking a nosedive into my Hellebores. I wasn't about to get rid of my Daphne, tho.



Stylophorum diphyllum "Celandine Poppy"

Celandine poppy (or woodland poppy) is a knockout native for the woodland garden. I can see those bright yellow blooms all the way up to my house. So many plants fade into the background in a woodland setting. It's great to have one that really shows off. I have read that these re-seed themselves, but I have had no such luck.


Amsonia montana (I think)

My mom purchased this Amsonia for me on the day that I went into preterm labor with my second son. All turned out well for the baby (full term delivery), and the Amsonia seems to be doing well, too. It's also a native. I have it in my Butterfly Garden. It has pretty little true blue star like flowers. It's supposed to be drought tolerant. Last year it died back pretty early, because of the lack of rain and supplemental water. I thought to myself, "Drought tolerant, indeed!" I didn't expect it to return this year, but I was wrong. And pleasantly surprised.


Geranium "Rozanne"

Rozanne Hardy Geraniums have gotten a fair amount of press lately. They have huge purple flowers. I hear they bloom from spring to fall. This is a new addition to the Butterfly Garden, so I'll see how it performs for me. I placed it alongside some other hardy Geraniums. I can definitely understand the Geranium obsession!



Japanese Anemone

This Japanese Anemone is also a new addition. The foliage is similar to that of the Geranium. It's supposed to bloom in the spring. I found out yesterday that it's poisonous. So, I guess I'll just make sure my kids keep away. The Butterfly Garden is on a steep slope, so it's unlikely that they'll be over there anyway.



Geranium macrorrhizum (I think)

Another Geranium. The person at the nursery thought this was Johnson's Blue. Ha! That's what I get for purchasing an unmarked pot. I love the plant, so I'm glad I have it. It's a good size for division, so some lucky person (mom) will get a chunk this year!


Hubby Standing near My Latest Transplanting Project

Over the weekend I decided to thin out some of my common Daylilies that flank part of our creekside. We hope to have them grow down the whole side eventually. I have some extra Irises I thought I might throw in for good measure. Currently, it's pretty much a weedy mess. It will take lots of work to make it...um, work.

No comments: