Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Some Favorites


Evan's Garden

When I planned Evan's memorial garden, I wanted to include things that had interesting common names. I considered it a children's garden and wanted plants with names that might interest a child and plants with fun flowers. I decided to do what I call a "Bank of Hydrangeas." I thought, "Who doesn't love those big pom pom blooms?" I chose to go with two natives: Hydrangea aborescens "Annabelle" and a dwarf Hydrangea quercifolia "Sikes Dwarf Oakleaf." Also in the picture are an unknown white Astilbe, and Christmas Fern.


Unknown Passalong in the Woodland Garden

I got this unknown little perennial from a plant trade. I wish I knew what it was!


Osmunda cinnamomea "Cinnamon Fern"
Cinnamon Fern is a native with striking foliage and cool cinnamon stick like fronds.


Chamaelirium luteum "Fairy Wand"

Fairy Wand is also a native, and has a neat little wand shaped bloom. I received this, the Cinnamon Fern, and many other wonderful natives from a Garden Web friend in memory of Evan.


Polygonatum multiflorum "Solomon's Seal"

My Solomon's Seal is in my little Woodland Garden. I'm happy to report that I have a couple babies this year!


Unknown Clematis

Here's another appearance of the Clematis that has produced some lovely, enormous flowers this year.


Clematis Dud with scrawny petals

I swear this Clematis used to have better petals. What is going on?


Passalong Iris

Another shot of my trade Iris.


Rose

Another trade plant. I don't actually remember putting this little gem in my box at the trade. It just magically appeared, and I've often wondered if someone else accidentally put it in the wrong box. The spoon with the identification said what it might be.... Unfortunately, I don't remember the name. It seems like it was French. Sigh.

3 comments:

sherrie said...

Evan's garden is looking lovely, I can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers! And beautiful photos. I really like the kid-appealing names of your plants, especially the Christmas and cinnamon ferns. :o) Denise

Pam said...

Hey Denise, I think both those ferns would work in your yard.