Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How Appropriate

There have been numerous books and articles proclaiming the merits of playing Classical music to babies and young children. They say that listening to Mozart will make your baby smarter. I generally play whatever CDs are in the van. Not usually Mozart, but Telemann, Rameau, Gershwin, Vince Guaraldi. We may even play Ralph's World. Unfortunately, Duncan has recently discovered The Driver's Seat and all of it's power. No, he's not driving (just pretending), but he has put a couple of pennies to play in the CD player. So, we've been listening to the radio. I'm one of those people that searches for music. I'm a channel surfer, I guess. It's funny how sometimes the song that I settle on sometimes really suits the occasion. Today, while driving home from Target, I was surfing. Miranda was screaming in the backseat, and lo and behold I stopped on a classic rock station. Ah...Steve Miller Band. The song ended. More crying. And then, the song came on, "B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen nothin', yet" went the lyrics. Hee hee! That wasn't quite as amusing as the time that Evan and Duncan were both screaming in the backseat, and the lyrics were "I'm goin' off the rails on a crazy train." Oh yeah, Ozzy! I have to mention the little girl I saw at Target that started this whole train of thought. She was probably 4 or 5. She was singing the tune of a song. Not a kid's song, not Mozart, but "Smoke on The Water"! Needless to say, I was impressed.

Rock on, kid!

2 comments:

Mezzo Forte said...

Pam,
You seem so quiet and reserved. I've enjoyed reading your blog since recently joining the blog-o-sphere myself.

I can totally indentify with the music thing though. However, sometimes if Garrett is screaming his head off...I just join in...that usually stops him in his tracks...he's probably afraid mom has gone off the deep end.

Here's my url if you're ever so inclined...www.lratcliffe.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I've actually already checked out your blog, girl. We have quite a lot of people from church out there in cyberspace. Kinda fun. Thanks for sharing your Garrett story.