Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Story of Miranda's Birth, or How to Lose 10lbs Overnight



Here are the details of how we got our little girl. We got to the hospital at 7:30pm on February 29th. I was having second thoughts about the whole induction thing, and said as much to Justin. I was pretty much terrified that it would end in a C-section, and surgery just plain scares me. We signed the paperwork, and got sent back to the Labor/Delivery area. I got set up in a room, asked a million questions, and by 8pm I was on Pitocin. We found Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone on TV, and settled down to watch and wait. The contractions weren't bad at first, and I started to think, "Maybe I should go natural, and not get the epidural." I had remembered all of my friends' advice, however, so I kept an open mind. By 9:30 the contractions were pretty bad, and the anesthesiologist showed up. Hooray! I got the epidural, and things were a-okay. I got checked for dilation, and I was still at 4cm! I had thought the Pitocin would have inspired some change. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

I asked the nurse, "What if it never changes from 4cm."

"Oh, you'll just get a C-section." Ho hum.

"I don't want a C-section!"

She went away, and I started to cry, and told Justin how afraid I was. It was definitely a low point. We watched the rest of the movie. Then the Late Show, then the Late Late Show. And I think we may have even caught the Late Late Late Show. My doctor came in around 1-1:30am to break my water, and I was still 4cm. The nurse told me to let her know if things started to feel any different. About an hour later I swear I felt the urge to push. I recognized it from last time when I didn't have the epidural. This time it was less intense, but still there. I let it go for several minutes making sure I wasn't imagining things. I called the nurse and let her know. She checked me out, and I was 10cm! Hooray! I pushed a little bit, and the nurse called my doctor. My mother in law had predicted the baby would come at 3am. The doctor walked in the room about that time. With all the draping and covering and moving things around, I thought to myself, "I coulda had this baby already!" Finally at 3:12, with a few controlled pushes (that's the great thing about a good epidural!), Miranda made her appearance into the world. My doctor thought she was close to 10 lbs, because she was "solid." Justin has an amusing little video of me talking to Miranda in those first few minutes. She's crying lustily, and I'm shushing her. I told her it was traumatic for me, too. She gets quiet.

I say, "You've got a big brother."

Mwah, wah wah!

"It's ok. He's really sweet!"

And now after too many days in the NICU, we're all home.

4 comments:

frogonthefly said...

I am so glad Miranda and Mom are both home!!!!
I can't wait to hear in future blogs what Duncan thinks about her.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing. I hope you all settle in nicely at home! Oh, and I love your updated profile, too!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful. I can't wait to see pictures of Miranda and Duncan together!

Love ya!
Stick

skoots1mom said...

so glad you're home...what does Duncan think? Praying for quiet, sleepful nights for ALL!
SK : )