Tuesday, February 26, 2008

To Induce or Not

My doc called me today, and is putting on the pressure to induce this week. He said I measured big last week (42cm!) He seems concerned that this baby may be a biggun'. He wants to know ASAP, so we can schedule it. Vote on the poll to let me know what you think. Thanks!

9 comments:

Dorothy Gould said...

Hi Pam, I check your blog from Nat's, and have been keeping up with you for awhile now. I was induced with my twins, and it was a great labor and delivery. I checked into the LDR room at Northside the night before, they inserted the cervidil, which is painless. Started pitocin the next morning at 7am, and I had my epidural at noon. Pushed out Michael at 7:10pm and Emily at 7:20pm. It was very manageable and painfree. Like you, this was not my first delivery, so I think my body progressed faster, as it knew what to do. Good luck whatever you decide to do, can't wait to "meet" your new daughter.

frogonthefly said...

While I have no idea what it's like to be pregnant, with a doctor pushing to induce.....I do know what it's like to be a patient, with a doctor wanting to do surgery. It's scary and all you want to do is say no. But what is most important is the health of you and your baby. I would take the advise of your doctor.

Nat said...

Pam, at this point? at 4cm and 100%effaced? They won't give you the cervidil and will probably tell you that you can have the epidural anytime you want. They will give you pitocin and break your water. Then they will probably turn the pitocin drip off and she'll be here in no time. This is your 3rd baby. She is going to come lickety split. Plus you can get a good night's sleep, eat a decent meal, drop Duncan off where ever neccesary and even bring a movie to watch. Really, I think you will like this much better than say, you know, almost having the baby in the lobby with no epidural like last time. . .

Amy said...

If you're ready, then go ahead with it. Due date is only a week from now so the baby is surely "fully cooked." But this is the same doctor who thought Duncan would be sooo big and he wasn't, really.

I fully support your decision either way. You should do whatever your gut is telling you. Flip a coin, and if you're disappointed with the outcome, then you have learned what you really want.

Betharoopie said...

I totally agree with Amy on this one. Find out what's really right with you and go with it. No matter what, we'll be with you in spirit!

Anonymous said...

I say induce! I want to see pictures of her!

Yeah baby!!
Stick

Anonymous said...

I think you're freaked out about being inducing and will probably go into labor on your on before the pitocin is even started! Lala Either way- there's gonna be a Baby I'm so excited!

Pam said...

Thanks for your input, Dorothy. We've decided to go ahead and induce late Friday, hoping for a Saturday birth. (Everyone keeps telling me not to have the baby on leap day!) Hopefully, I'll have a good experience like you and Nat!

We'll get a picture up when she gets here. Still workin' on that name!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't tell you not to have her on leap day; leap babies are awesome! interesting article... I read another where on the leap birthday the child would get a present for both ages-like a 12-year-old getting one present for a 3 yo, or the leap year birthday gift was super special. Of course, we'll all be happy no matter when she comes, but don't be afraid of having a leapling! -Sherrie