Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Rough Week

I went to the doctor today for the check on little nipper 3. And I'm happy to let you know, I'm not in labor! I'm 1.5 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and something else I can't remember. So, not much going on at present. My doctor is happy we got to 35 weeks, and says any time will be great. I'm still hoping for full term, and given my record of full term babies (I'm 2 for 2!), I think chances are pretty good.

You know, I'm supposed to be taking it easy and keeping my feet up more than usual, right? Not bedrest, just a little more relaxation. Justin has helped a lot, and my mom and mother in law have helped with doing laundry (you guys are the best!) But I don't think the doctor really takes into account how active a little toddler can be. Duncan is also known to be a climber. So, I'll be hanging out on the sofa, and he climbs up on something, so I have to go rescue him. No biggie, just part of having a small boy around. What's made the last week or so difficult is Duncan's health. It all began with a fever on Friday, then a rash came up on Saturday. The fever had already subsided, but the rash was still there by Monday, so I took him to his pediatrician. He had some diarrhea that morning. The doc thinks it's viral, probably Roseola. Give him Benedryl, call if it gets worse or the fever comes back. Well, the rash is better, no fever. So, what's the problem? Diarrhea! Three straight days. It's caused a really red bottom, too. So, staying on top of diaper changes, clothes changes (it's that messy), caking on the diaper rash cream, trying to get the boy fed and hydrated, I can't say that I've been relaxing or keeping aware of the Braxton Hicks contractions. I never knew diarrhea was so stressful. I'm sick of it, and I'm sure poor little Duncan is. He's quite the little trooper. He's been a happy little camper most of the time (except at diaper changes.)

Oh yeah, now Justin and I both have the cold. Hopefully, neither of us will get any of the other symptoms.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pam. I hope you all are on the mend soon! A houseful of sick is never restful.
My friend's 35-week-er was born yesterday and is 5#5oz, healthy and resting!
I hope you make it a couple more weeks and can rest (and get well) in the meantime!
Kristin

sherrie said...

Poor thing. Hugs to everyone!

Pam said...

Kristin,
Glad your friend and her baby are ok. I'm glad we're not quite there, yet!

Here's hoping for a healthier day for our clan!

Amy said...

Oh yes, diarrhea is soooo tiring. Benjamin once had it for almost 2 weeks. It was beyond awful. I hope all 3 of you are healthy before labor starts!

Nat said...

Hope you guys get well. And once well Duncan is welcome to come for a playdate any time.

If you have her early maybe she will be little enough to fit into Carmella's baby clothes--Carmella was 6 1/2 lbs. She was 10 days early and had to wear premie for a while because she was so skinny. I'll start getting stuff together for you.