Friday, January 11, 2008

Green Worms, Glass, and Birthdays...Oh My!

One encounters some pretty gross stuff as a parent of a young toddler. The whole diaper changing business probably doesn't even have to be mentioned! And all the stuff that's gross as an adult, like runny noses, is gross as a parent, because the kid doesn't know what to do with it. He doesn't know how to blow his little nose, yet. So, the parent runs around chasing the runny nose all day with a tissue. When Evan had a cold, he would grumpily say, "Gimmee a tissue!" He'd wipe his nose, and toss the tissue aside for someone else to pick up. After the clear, runny nose phase, is the thicker, green/yellow snot phase. I started telling Evan, "Hey Evan, there's a green worm coming out of your nose." And his response was, "That's not a green worm, that's SNOT!" So, I've been wiping off green worms from Duncan's nose the last day or two. Fun fun!

Yesterday, after the rough night mentioned in the previous post, I decided to let Duncan play in my parents' sunroom. It was supposed to be a treat. I was on the phone with Justin, and I heard the tinkle of breaking glass. I ran to see what happened. Both Duncan and I were barefooted, and despite my speed to grab him, he still managed to step in the glass. I thought it hadn't broken the skin at first. But then I saw a little spot of blood on his foot. I cleaned it up, and felt around a bit. There was a little bump. I wasn't sure if there was more glass lodged in there or not. I called the pediatrician's office to get advice. At first, they suggested soaking it, then they must have talked to the doctor, because they came back and said, "Take him to the ER." So, I start to panic. I don't really have a lot of confidence in the ER since what happened with Evan. I called Justin crying, and my rock of a husband says, "I'm on my way." (Isn't he great?) So, we went, and had a surprisingly short wait. Duncan was not distressed at all. He waved at everybody like they were his best friends. He got his little foot X-rayed, and was a little trooper the whole time. No glass in the foot. So, we're supposed to keep it clean and make sure it doesn't start to look infected.

And...today's my birthday. The big 3-6. I've thought about going backwards from here on out. This year I would be 34, next year 33, until I hit 0 at age 70 or so. Of course, would that mean having to have a birthday party at Jump Zone for my 69th birthday? I did get some birthday booty (no, get your mind out of the gutter!) My folks gave me a gift certificate to a cool local plant nursery--sweet! And my sister sent me an online certificate to chocosphere. It's an online chocolate shop. So, I guess I'll just have to buy some chocolate. Oh shucks. Unfortunately, I think I may be getting Duncan's cold. Just in time for the baby shower tomorrow. And I thought I needed more excitement in my life!

2 comments:

Nat said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry about Duncan and the glass.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday!!!!