Tuesday, November 20, 2007

One Line


Evan with His "Dacuum"


On Saturday Justin and I received a letter in the mail. There will be a memorial service at Scottish Rite in the near future, and they would like a one line statement about Evan.

One line.

To their credit they do say that this would be a statement that "enables them to know a portion of the essence" of Evan. To think that even "a portion of the essence" of a person, even a small child, could be summed up in one line. It is heartwrenching. What to say? There are so many things. They did include a couple examples of statements from previous years. They were lovely. I read them and can tell those parents felt the same way I do. The statements are beautiful run on sentences about children who died too young. I had thought of sending in something similar to what I wrote in my Snakes and Snails post. How Evan was lawnmowers, tools, and playgrounds and pools. Justin said, "Don't you think we ought to include how much we miss him?" I was at a loss. And the kicker was we had to submit the statement by Monday. So, we only had a couple of days to think of something so tender, yet so painful. Being the wordy one, I thought the task would fall on my shoulders, but Justin emailed me with a statement that we both liked. I fixed the spelling errors, and sent it along. Here's what he wrote:

Evan once listed his favorite things as milk, grapes, cheese, lawnmowers...
Our favorite things about Evan were his laughs and
smiles, the full body tackle he thought of as a hug,
his happy demeanor and sense of humor, and the
affection he had for all of us.

8 comments:

Amy said...

That's very nice. Sniff. Good job with an impossible assignment.

grandma said...

Justin & you did a marvelous job of summing up Evan in one line. It seems impossible because he was/is so much more. He was love and beauty. He will never be forgotten. We love you.

Nat said...

I think that is prefect. And that is tough--one statement for someone who is your world. We all miss him. Thinking of you guys. . .

Mary Beth said...

wow- heart wrenching and beautiful.

Betharoopie said...

I agree - that is perfect. Hugs to you both.

A Note From DEW: said...

Yes, beautiful...and heart-wrenching. Love to you.

frogonthefly said...

We're thinking about you guys. Let us know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

A day does not go by that I don't have Evan in my heart and miss him. A happy, smiley, lovey little man, you did a wonderful job with him. Much love to you both this week, Kristi