Saturday, October 13, 2007

Will you take 50 cents for that Dollar?

Well, we survived our very first Yard Sale. My parents said that it was a success. Although, now I kind of understand why they have put off having one of their own for at least a decade. It's amazing how people want to bargain down everything. We had folks bargaining down from $3. So, needless to say, we didn't really get our asking price for much of anything except the 50 cent items. I kept reminding myself and all the wonderful folks that helped out (hubby, my parents) that the object was to get rid of stuff. It's hard to see the curtains I paid $80+ go for $5, though. Will I do it again? Maybe. I guess my expectations will probably be more on the money (or the lack of money!) next time. I'm a little disappointed in the monetary outcome, but we did accomplish what I kept saying was the object...we got rid of stuff. So...I guess it may have been a success afterall.

4 comments:

Amy said...

This is why I just give stuff to charity and take a tax write off. I can't stand to see folks picking through my stuff and trying to haggle, it just puts me in a bad mood.

Betharoopie said...

I second what Amy said. We held our first-and-only yard sale one of the first years we were in NY - never again. I think we made $50 - NOT that it was for the money, but spending all day in a chair on the lawn - having people want to pay me $1 for a $2 item and such - that was not an effective use of my time.

Unfortunately, the charities up here are pretty picky, too. Unless it's in brand-new condition, they don't want it anymore. So now, if it's clothes, I just drop it off in one of the "clothe-the-world" dumpsters, and if it's furniture or a doodad, I Freecycle it.

Pam said...

Yeah, we held back all the clothes for charity. Didn't think they'd want kitchen stuff, but who knows? Freecycle is a good idea.

sherrie said...

Craig's list is good for unloading stuff -you might be able to get more that way, and the bargaining is via e-mail, so not as annoying- plus they have a "free" section and another one for bartering. Yard sales = more trouble than they are worth, invariably.