Thursday, August 9, 2007

HOArrrgh!

We got yet another nastygram from our Home Owners Association, and I'm starting to feel picked on. They thanked us for moving the trailer off the premises (actually it's in the garage...Mwahahaha!) The letter mentioned a very detailed letter that was sent last November concerning the fact that our trim did not match the window color. We were told at the time to either paint the windows to match the trim, or the trim to match the windows. This all came about when we put in a request to replace our downstairs windows and front door. The upstairs windows were replaced by the previous owners. As far as I know no mention was made to them about the trim not matching. So, the HOA says we have to fix the previous owners' mistake. Nice, huh? Well, obviously we lost Evan in November and haven't really thought much about working on the house. We're just trying to keep our heads above water with this grief thing. Justin did replace the downstairs windows in the spring, but it was too cool to do exterior painting. We figured we'd do it later, when it was warmer, and when we could afford it. Of course, now it's 100 degrees. I wouldn't ask somebody to paint in that kind of heat. But they want a "time frame for the project." I know my neighbor told the Architectural Committee lady that they were to leave us alone, because we were a "family in crisis." So, do they think that after eight months we should be over losing our son?! I'm livid! Who the hell cares what the paint color is? Nobody mentioned it for the five years before we made the request last fall. So, what's the hurry now? Arrrgh!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I need is a name and an address. We will flood the HOA with our OWN nasty-grams.
Seriously, I'm on it if you want me to be.
Kristi

Betharoopie said...

Oh. My. Word. I honestly don't know what to say - what...what...what NERVE!!!

Move. Or paint the window trim different for each window. And put polka-dots on your front door. Maybe make your garage door a nice plaid.

Anonymous said...

precisely why subdivisions make me nuts! Give me an address or email and I too will give em my what for!! What's wrong with these people? Let them spend their time trying to fix a few things that really need some time and effort put forth and get their stupid heads out of the "house matchy matchy" world. I say forget their idiot letter - do what makes ya'll feel better, and come live nearer me! Love, Lala

Anonymous said...

I agree with betharoopie!!! Go polka-dots and plaid. :)

FishStick.

Mary Beth said...

i like the polka dots and plaid idea.
Im in and i LOVE to paint (and I'll do it for you in this heat becuase I love you that much)

seriously, can i ask debbie and john for some names of the HOA people becuase this is absurd

Pam said...

Well, we knew this was coming. The thing that bothers me most is the lack of compassion. They know what happened with Evan, so a little mention of "we know you're having a difficult time, but please let us know when you can give us a time frame for these changes." We're in a neighborhood, so they should be more neighborly!

As amusing as plaid and polka dots sound, I don't really want them on my house, and I really don't want the once a week letters. We're trying to avoid getting letters, afterall.

Amy said...

I can't even believe the pettiness. A lack of compassion is right. Plus who cares about window trim? You can barely even see it. I guess the trade-off is, in MY neighborhood somebody has a mechanical bull in their front yard! Verrry classy!

Betharoopie said...

I'm with you, Amy...a nearby neighbor had a toilet-with-flowers in their front yard, and a few months ago there was a SWAT operation busting some drug pushers at the end of the street. They honestly don't care about our peeling paint and dying flowers...

And of course I was just throwing out those odd paint schemes as a similar extreme to that of the HOA's attitude. I guess it's my Mom in me - I never like anyone telling me what to do, so I tend to be all petulant-child about things like that. ;)