Sunday, July 22, 2007

Potter Madness

On Friday night Justin and I set out to Borders to pick up our copy of the latest Harry Potter book. We got to the parking lot shortly after 11pm, and were astonished by the hundreds and hundreds of cars. There were people of all ages, some dressed up, all headed to the book store. We could see the line snaked around inside the store, and numerous people standing outside. I said, "Justin, I don't want to stand in line for two hours or more for this book!" I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the huge outpouring of Potter fans, but I guess I had some silly idea that I would be able to get my book and get out pretty quickly. Silly me! We circled the parking lot, and Justin said, "My co-worker told me that Kroger is selling the book, too." Disappointment in my voice, I said, "But my reserved copy here will be 40 percent off!" Then Justin says, "I heard the one's at Kroger are going to be 40 percent off." So, we went over to Kroger, and we saw about 30 cars in the parking lot. We went in line, and got in line behind the 5 others that were there standing next to the boxes of books. And we waited until midnight. The crowd grew to probably 150 people by then. These were mostly disgruntled bookstore shoppers. A person in line said he got to Borders at 9pm, and he was number 533! I think had we stayed at Borders, we would have been there standing in line for hours! At Kroger we were in the mad rush (and the silly countdown beforehand), and we were home by 12:15! And then we got up around 5:30 to head to Turks and Caicos, where we are now. I've read about 400 pages so far. I saw a kid in line yesterday in the Immigration line who probably had about 50 pages left! He must have been reading all night. Not me!

I'm enjoying the book so far. We've mostly rested today. We can't go to the pool, because our luggage went missing, and it's still not here. Thankfully, we have extra clothes, and a washing machine in our room! Hopefully, our luggage will come today, so my hair can be less dull and lifeless, and I can swim! Justin is going out now to get toothpaste, and other necessities. Ahhh..life in paradise! oh yeah, the book was for sale at the airport, so we needn't have stayed up so late the night before. Live and Learn!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love that you're blogging from the Caribbean. The airport copies weren't 40% off were they? I bought the last book at the airport and paid full cover price. I ordered this one from Amazon but was too cheap to get the magic shipping and have to wait until next Saturday probably. Wah!

Pam said...

It was 20% off at the ATL. I think I may have paid full price to save myself some sleep. It was fun being there, tho.